Saturday, August 3, 2024

Why Wait Until Spring?

I started my new container herb garden today. Our garden is fairly close to the house, but still far enough away that, when I’m cooking, I don’t make the effort to go out and get fresh herbs. So I decided to make a container herb garden on our back patio, just a few short steps from the kitchen.

Look at that garden all the way back there.
My original plan was to wait until spring to put the container garden together. I ordered the plant shelf last week from Amazon (for $45.99). I put it together so that I could see what size planters I could fit on it. Then, it was going to go into the basement for the winter. I figured I could start collecting ceramic pots of various types throughout the rest of the summer and fall - maybe scoring some on end-of-season clearance - so I would have them all ready to go in the spring. 

Two to start.

I found two that I liked today. I got the white one at T.J. Maxx. It was made in Vietnam and cost $9.99. The multi-colored one is from Lowe's. It was made in Malaysia, weighs considerably more, and cost $22.98. I actually like the white one better, but I'm happy with both. I only want ceramic planters. There are tons of plastic/resin ones out there but I just like the look and feel of the ceramics better. These were both marked "frost resistant," not that that's much of a concern for me.

Enjoy your new homes, little ones.

This past spring, I started some herbs from seed indoors. They included parsley, thyme, and basil. I transplanted three of each into the garden. Today, I transplanted two of the plants back into containers. All three of the parsley plants took to the larger garden quite well. I had no qualms about digging one out to move to the patio. An odd side note about the parsley: the seeds I purchased were labeled curly parsley, but one of the plants is very obviously flat leaf parsley. The flat leaf plant was being overshadowed in the garden by horseradish leaves, so that's the one that went into the pot. It became a bit droopy in the aftermath of the transfer, but I think it'll do fine. If not, I've got two more parley plants.

The thyme plant that I moved from the garden into the planter is the only one of the three original seedlings that survived the initial transplant. It's well-established and I didn't disturb much of its roots in the move, so it should be okay. I love thyme and, even though it is a perennial, I haven't had luck over-wintering it in the garden. I hope that it adapts well to the planter so I can bring it inside this winter.

View of the new container garden from our kitchen.

My plan is to keep collecting ceramic planters for my various herbs. I've got strong, perennial chives I can divide and put in a pot before fall. I'll be collecting dill seeds so I can start some directly in a new planter next spring. We have some beautiful Greek basil plants that are cuttings from the indoor plant that have thrived in the open garden this year. We'll definitely bring a couple of them in for the winter. I don't think I'll bother transplanting my sweet basil if I get enough pots before fall. The plants have massive roots and would probably resent the relocation. I'd like to have enough planters by spring to also start rosemary, oregano, and maybe some well-contained mint. No cilantro, though. There's no place for that in my kitchen. I'm really looking forward to having my fresh herbs so close at hand. Of course, we'll have to see what the deer have to say about it too.

The Ends?



No comments:

Post a Comment