Wednesday, July 8, 2015

I’m out of town for three days and this happens…


 
I went to the Adirondacks on a brief visit and when I got back it was like the garden had gone crazy while I was gone. A few warm, sunny days after a bunch of rain will do that. The lettuce seeds I planted have started. There are dozens of tomatoes just waiting to turn red. The zucchini, cucumber and pumpkin plants are all starting to set fruit. The pole beans and the bush beans are in blossom. I picked a good handful of snap peas yesterday evening for dinner and today I picked turnips and beets. I imagine that soon I will have more produce than I know what to do with. I love it when that happens!

zucchini
pumpkin
beans
turnips
beets
There was one unfortunate occurrence that will account for the ominous title of this post. The daylilies by the porch were just on the brink of fully blossoming when I left town. Just before I got back one of the several deer that frequent our yard nipped off the majority of the buds. Sigh. I knew that could happen. I just hoped it wouldn’t. There are some buds remaining so I might get to enjoy some flowers. At least I got some pictures of the earliest blooms.

Before the deer came in for a snack
Om nom nom, daylilies
 And here are some more pictures from the garden and around the yard.








No comments:

Post a Comment